Collar or Harness? Which one to choose?
Are you going to raise a new puppy or maybe your new puppy is on the way? Now you might probably can’t wait to take him/her outside for walks and hurry to figure out which tool to use. Should it be a collar or should it be a harness?
In this article we’re going to discuss the pros and cons of each so that you can make a better choice about what type of restraint to use with your loving furry family member.
A dog collar is a single strap that put around the neck of a dog. A collar may be used for restraint, identification, fashion, or protection. They allow your dog more comfort and flexibility when inside the house.
Pros of collars
- Provide function with ID tags
- Easy to wear and can be left on at all times
Cons of collars
- Puts pressure on the neck and may cause, eye, ear, throat or thyroid problems
- Not safe for dogs that pull
- Not ideal for training or control
- Should not be used on toy breeds and brachycephalic breeds, such like Toy Poodle
A dog harness is a straps that fit around a dog's chest and torso. It is used to guide, hold, and lift the dog or to utilize its pulling power. With a harness you have a restraint option where there’s no tension on the neck, and it helps to control your pet by having the pressure distributed throughout the body.
Pros of Harness
- Do not put pressure on your dog's neck and tend to be more secure
- Best choice for long walk
- Better for dogs that pull or lunge
- Easier and better for training
Cons of Harness
- Can be less convenient to put on
- Can be more difficult to find appropriate sizes for some dog breeds
- Less comfortable for continuous wear
The dog harness and the dog collar both have their strengths and weaknesses. Usually，there is no one-size-fits-all for every dog when deciding between collars and harnesses. Some dog owners also would like to use both a collar and a harness for their pet. A collar can be worn at all times and suitable for short walk. On the other hand, a harness is best for longer walks and training.
Whether you use a collar or a harness for your dog depends on your dog’s needs, and ultimately, your vet’s recommendation. And the most important thing is that make sure you keep your dog as healthy and safe as possible.
Leave a comment